Tuesday, 8 September 2009

Low Fat Fruit Custard

When it comes to desserts, I think nothing can beat a simple 'Fruit custard'. This comes handy if you are on a diet and your taste buds demand a yummy low fat dessert. What can be better than lovely fresh fruits dipped in custard sauce? This custard goes well with Skimmed, semi-skimmed and Full fat milk.
My workplace canteen in Mumbai would make this once a week and I was sure to never miss that.
I have tried 'Bird's Eye' custard powder this time and it works well. Back in India, I was a fan of 'Brown & Polson'.

Ingredients:

Semi Skimmed milk
Condensed milk (Nestle Carnations Light condensed milk is Low fat)
Custard Powder
Peeled Fresh fruits of your choice (I have used apples, bananas and grapes)

Make a paste using custard powder and little cold milk. Keep aside.
Heat remaining milk and once it starts boiling, add the custard paste and keep stirring continuously. The milk will start thickening. Remove from heat. Bring it to room temperature.
Add condensed milk to this according to preferences. It gives sweetness and a wonderful flavour.
If you would like to use sugar instead, add it when you put the milk to boil.
Mix the peeled fruits in your custard and put this in the refrigerator.
Relish your chilled fruit custard!!!

Tips:

Do not use papaya. If it is not peeled properly, then the entire custard will turn bitter.
Avoid melons as they leave water.
Chickoo tastes amazing in custards.

This entry goes to 'FIL-MILK' event.

14 comments:

Nithya said...

I love custard and this one is no exception :)


Do take a look at my blog for an event announcement. Your participation will make us happy.

Uma said...

looks absolutely delicious :)

Purva Desai said...

first time to your blog.....can see sooo many similarities in both of us......
As you said even I am a hardcore mumbaite.....used to reside in London....just came back to Aamchi Mumbai in july and simply love to read detective novels.....

Fruit custard looks mouth watering......keep in touch....

Which part of london you reside in...?

Parita said...

My favorite..:)

Priti said...

Yummy yum...looks delicious

Priya said...

Wow such a droolworthy fruit custard Mansi..looks gorgeous..

Purva Desai said...

hey dats soo close, I used to stay in Feltham (Near Cineworld) we used to visit Hounslow for Indian groceries.....are u in west / central / hounslow

PJ said...

Hi Mansi.This custard reminds me of my childhood..looks yummm..Please collect an award from my blog @ http://seduceyourtastebuds.blogspot.com/2009/09/and-another-one.html

Sushma Mallya said...

Yummy and healthy custard...looks delicious...

Divya Kudua said...

Adding condensed milk to the custard is such a great idea.I always add sugar and make it more sweet and end up feeling guilty about it:(.I use Brown and Polson too:)

Red Chillies said...

it has been a long time since i had this, thanks for the low-fat ideas.

RV said...

fruit custard looks tempting.. will try this recipe over the weekend....

SriLekha said...

wow! looks delicious n healthy1
do visit my blog when u find time!

Bhakti said...

this is great....