Thursday, 27 August 2009

Phodnichi Dal / Spicy Chana Dal

This is a traditional recipe that has passed on from generations. This dish is made in my house during the 'Gauri-Ganapati' festivities and is offered as 'Prasad'.
'Phodnichi Dal' is the marathi equivalent of 'Tempered dal'. Though I have feasted on this wonderful dish for years, it is only today that I called up my mom and took the recipe.
Today, being the first day of 'Gauri Pooja', I prepared this at home.

Ingredients:

Chana Dal (soaked for 3 hours)
Green Chillies - chopped
Curry Leaves (Kadipatta)
Turmeric Powder
Red Chilly Powder
Asafoetida
Salt to taste
Lime
2 tsp oil
Mustard seeds for tempering
Coriander / Cilantro for garnishing

Soak the Chana dal for 3 hours. Heat oil in a pan and throw in the mustard seeds, asafoetida, curry leaves and green chillies. Saute for some time.
Add turmeric powder, red chilly powder and the soaked chana dal.
Cover and cook. Sprinkle a little water in between.
Once the dal has cooked well, add salt and a generous dash of lime. Garnish with Coriander.
The lip smacking chatpata side dish is ready!!!

15 comments:

Joanne said...

Another delicious and flavorful dish from your kitchen!

sangeeta said...

i have tasted this dry dal as a prasad and it's yummy.
another prasad made with daal i have had is a ground daal paste fried with some spices like upma......what is that called??

Mansi said...

Hi Sangeeta: I guess that's Kairichi dal. It contains Chana dal paste and grated raw mango with a tempering. That's yum too.

Sushma Mallya said...

Thats a very simple and yummy dal fry guess it will go very well with chapathi...Nice click as well :)

Red Chillies said...

My mom used to make this as a side item for chapathis. it has been ages since I had this, thanks for reminding!

Parita said...

I make similar snack with the fried chanal dal :)

sangeeta said...

thanks for the info Mansi...i am late in noticing that though..:):)

A 2 Z Vegetarian Cuisine said...

First time here, I tried this dal somewhere, it was super good.

Nithya said...

This is a new dish to me and it looks simple and yumm.. :)

First time here and must say you have a lovely blog. Will be back often.

Nithya
www.4thsensesamayal.blogspot.com
www.nitsarts.blogspot.com

Priya said...

Just love this spicy channa dal, looks simply superb Mansi..

Divya Kudua said...

Something new to me..:).We make something similar to this with Moong dal,tastes great by itself and also with rotis.I would try this one for a change:)

Priti said...

I make in little different way...this looks gud and love the colour

Sujatha said...

nice one.. and can imagine with chapathis! never heard of this before..

Bellini Valli said...

I love these traditional dishes.

Srivalli said...

Thanks for sharing this traditional recipe. Should try it out.