Friday, 14 August 2009

Bread Upma

A quickie dish that can be made with your old bread. When I get bored of making Sandwiches or Omelette's, the tangy 'Bread Upma' comes to my rescue.

Ingredients:
Bread slices (I have used Wholemeal Bread here)
1 small Onion - chopped
1 small Tomato - chopped
2 tsp Red Chilly Powder
1 tsp Turmeric Powder
A pinch of Asafoetida
2 tsp Oil
Cumin seeds
Curry Leaves / Kadipatta
2 Green Chillies -chopped
Coriander / Cilantro for garnishing
Little Curds (optional)
Lemon (optional)
Salt to taste

Cut your Bread into cubes. Heat oil in a Wok.
Once the oil is hot, add Cumin Seeds, Curry leaves, Green chillies and Asafoetida.
Saute the onion for some time and once it turns translucent, put in the tomatoes.
Do not cook the tomatoes much. Add Red chilly powder and Turmeric powder. Sprinkle salt.
Put in your Bread cubes, add a dash of lime and garnish with Coriander.
Transfer to a bowl and sprinkle some Curds on top.
Get ready for snack time!!!

9 comments:

Jaya Wagle said...

Mansi, your upma looks delicious. I save the crusts of my bread the whole week and make bread upma on the weekend. Have been meaning to post the recipe next week.
Thanks for visiting my blog. You have a nice blog going.

Subhie Arun said...

hi ur upma looks grt n tempting!u have wonderful blog..

Uma said...

mmm. bread upma is my fav. looks so tempting and yummy :) Your blog is so nice with many tempting recipes. Thank you for dropping by!!

Usha said...

This one is always the way I love to use up leftover bread, looks inviting !

Vaishali said...

The bread upma looks so delicious. My mom used to make it too with leftover bread, and it brought back lots of memories. I love how the crust would crisp up, and with the spices it would be just amazing. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Sweta said...

This is an all time fave-we just had it for breakfast!!You can try this with left over idlis too :)
Thanks for stopping over at my blog :)

Shaista Tabrez said...

looks tempting and quite yummy..

Shaista Tabrez said...

dear I have got few awards for u in my blog..

Nabia said...

Hi Mansi... I have never had upma before. Looks interesting, would have to make it sometime... Its kind of similar to Panzanella.